[Insight-users] Re-introduction

Atwood, Robert (DLSLtd,RAL,DIA) Robert.Atwood at diamond.ac.uk
Tue Aug 18 12:52:06 EDT 2009

Hi Alex:

The information will soon be on our web site but of course I can tell you now, if it changes then the web site will be updated so anyone reading this, please check back if you really want to know the exact configuration (www.diamond.ac.uk then look for 'jeep beamline' or 'I12 beamline' .. The website has not been put up yet, maybe 2 weeks?)

There will be a call for 'commissioning proposals' if anyone is interested -- Contact me off-list for more discussion! There are different terms for (1) UK users (2) EU users (3) everyone else.

The plan is for 4 types of detector, two of which are primarily for imaging and the other two primarily for diffraction-based methods. Here's the table pasted from the webpage, apologies for lack of formatting but plain text is better for email, I think it's required for this list anyways.

The frame rates mentioned are the limits of the detectors. For a real experiment there may be other limits -- our rotation stage has a maximum of 10 Hz , so theoretically we could do 10 tomography images per second using ~600 projections per image with the high-speed camera. The sample itself may limit this further ... Can we get a good projection image in that time? For some types of sample it should be possible .. But the most interesting samples to image at 10 three-d frames per second might be exactly those samples that cannot be spun around that quickly without altering the process! So, many challenges remain...

Imaging detectors:
1. High resolution monochromatic X-ray imaging
   Detector: PCO 4000 camera:
Technology: CCD
4008 x 2672 pixel
Pixel size 9 m x 9 m
Frame rate up to 5 fps
used with camera modules for monochromatic beam

2. High speed white beam imaging
    Detector Vision Research Phantom v7.3 camera:
Technology: CMOS
800 x 600 pixel
Pixel size 22 m x 22 m
Frame rate up to 6600 fps
Max. recording time 2.6 s (at a frame rate of 6600 fps)
used with camera modules for monochromatic beam and white beam

Both the high resolution monochromatic X-ray camera as well as the high speed white beam camera require imaging camera optical modules. These are being designed and built in-house

Monochromatic module: Four objective lenses (configured in folded path so the lenses and camera don't go in the X-ray beam!) The fields-of-view range from 3mm to 50mm Each objective has its own scintillator, the thickness of the scintillator matched to the depth-of-field of the lens for maximum light output without spreading the image. This required different materials to be used for each and it has not been easy to get it all sorted out. The module is completely enclosed and lightproofed (a carbon window allows the x-rays to reach the scintillator while blocking visible light)

White beam module: we are still working on this. The Monochromatic module's scintillators would probably vaporize instantly when exposed to the "white" beam :-0

Diffraction Detectors:

3. Multi-element Germanium Energy Dispersive X-ray Diffraction detector
    Canberra EDXD detector:
    23 X-ray sensitive elements arranged in a 180° arc

4. Large area 2D detector
   Thales Pixium RF4343 flat panel detector:
Technology: CsI scintillator on an amorphous Si substrate
2880x 2881 pixel
Pixel size 148 m x 148 m

Hope this is of interest
Robert