[Insight-users] help building ITK with WrapITK

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Fri Aug 21 10:21:29 EDT 2009

Le 19 août 09 à 19:42, Atwood, Robert (DLSLtd,RAL,DIA) a écrit :

> Thanks, Gaetan!
>
> I was just following the instructions at the web page you mention,
> it specifies that cableSwig should be installed. Upon following the
> link , I found the instructions for installing CableSwig, and
> followed them too. Perhaps it's not clear , do you need the
> CableSwig source to be present but not follow the instructions as
> referenced by the link?
>

> Thanks for any further clarification
> Robert
>
>>> quote<<
> You will need to install  CMake to build CableSwig. Once you have
> CableSwig sources and CMake on your system, there are two ways to
> build CableSwig for ITK:
>

> ---> Do this-->>>
> Building inside ITK - If you are using CableSwig to wrap ITK, the
> easiest way to build it, is to checkout CableSwig in the Insight/
> Utilities directory, then CableSwig will be built as part of ITK. If
> not, then build it as you would any other CMake project.

> ---> but don't do this ? --->>
> Enable CSwig for ITK - When running CMake on ITK, show the advanced
> cache values with the cmake GUI (CMakeSetup or ccmake. Turn on the
> ITK_CSWIG_TCL and/or the ITK_CSWIG_PYTHON variables. If CableSwig is
> in the Utilities directory that is all you should need to do. If
> not, you will have to tell CMake were CableSwig has been built.
> CSWIG, CABLE_INDEX, and GCCXML will all need to be located for the
> wrapping process.
>>> end quote<<

That's a bit confusing, I must agree.

We have several things there, sometime with the same name :-(

* 3 different wrapping projects:
   - CSwig in ITK sources
   - WrapITK in ITK sources
   - WrapITK at google code

* CableSwig, a package of several programs:
   - cableswig (the program this time) is a modified version of swig
made to wrap itk
   - gccxml
   - cableidx

CableSwig (the package) is used by the three wrapping projects, but
cableswig (the program) is used only by the first two ones. WrapITK at
google code still uses gccxml and cableidx, but use the unmodified swig.

To build WrapITK at google code, you have to build CableSwig (the
project) outside ITK, and to build ITK without any CSWIG or WRAPITK
option set to ON.
Once done, you can either install CableSwig or use it from the source
tree to build WrapITK.

I'll try to add a note about that on wrapitk.googlecode.com.

HTH,

Gaëtan