[Insight-users] Problems building itk under MinGW

URI zallen at wheelinghospital.com
Tue Dec 8 17:46:04 EST 2009

Ah I see, I thought you meant that msys was a part of MinGW.

Ok, I followed the directions as best I could.  I already have MinGW
installed so I skipped the first step where it says "If you haven't already
installed MinGW on your system".

Then I went for MSYS 1.0.11.  It installed with no problem, but the
instructions say "Next, the post install process will ask for the directory
where MinGW was installed to. "  This didn't happen, but I checked the
"C:\msys\1.0\etc\" directory and found a file named fstab.sample and it has
"c:/mingw /mingw" in it (there is no java directory though, if that's
relevant).  I made a copy of this file and renamed it to just "fstab" since
this seems to be what the instructions say the filename should be.

Msys DTK installed with no problem.

Second, the link for Msys Core 1.0.11 does not work.  Instead I found the
Core files here, which I hope is the same thing:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MSYS%20Base%20System/

I set my HOME variable as instructed and tried to run msys.bat from the
C:\msys\1.0 directory.  There is a terminal window that pops up and then
disappears right away, I can't read what it says.  The same thing happens if
I run msys.bat from a command prompt.

It seems like nothing wants to work for me.