[Insight-users] Convert vector field from vtkUnstructuredGrid to itk::Image with interpolation

Dirk Boye body at nabla.org
Thu Dec 10 05:47:57 EST 2009

Dear list,

Let's say I have a list of vectors in an vtkUnstructuredGrid like
this:

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
vtk output
ASCII
DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID
POINTS 5 float
-2 2 0 2 2 0 0 0 0
-2 -2 0 2 -2 0
CELL_TYPES 0

POINT_DATA 5
VECTORS vectors float
1 -1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0
1 1 0 1 -1 0

I'd like to create a continuous vector field 'image' of dimensions
4x4x1 with a spacing of 1.

How can I read the vectors into a itk::Image and do an interpolation
(BSpline for example) on the vectors?
Usually one resamples an image and interpolates the new pixels... but
with only some vectors given like above and given image dims/spacing
I have no clue.

Attached image is a sketch of what I'd like to do :)

Are there any nice classes to do that?

Thanks,
Dirk