[Insight-users] aligning two contoursets

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Feb 3 13:06:24 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Yogish Mallya <mallyayogish at yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> Dear Karthik,
>
> I have attached an image in the mail to give you further clarifications on
> the problem. I want to warp contour B on to contour A
>
> I gone through some of the publications on robust point matching. Looks
> like point matching technique may be overkill for my problem. I was
> wondering can't we use ordering of the points for both the contour ?  Is
> there any functionality to fit b-spline functions to these two contours and
> then evaluate at different points for estimating deformation ?

You can certainly fit a BSpline curve / bezier curve etc to the two point
sets.

The classes to do so are (vtkBezierContourLineInterpolator /
itkBSplineScatteredDataPointSetToImageFilter)

However, by volunteering to take the approach of sampling the two curves
you'll be assuming that the sample points do form a good point
correspondance:

You can then use TPS or one of the other kernel splines in ITK to find the
transform that maps .

-------

Are you sure RPM is an overkill for your problem ? I doubt if the algorithm
will mess up your point ordering.

RPM (vtkpxTPSRPMRegistration) class minimizes
- Distance between the deformed (TPS) points and the target point set
- magnitude of affine + magnitude of non-rigid component of the TPS
(regularization).

The latter will be high if point ordering is messed up (the curve loops over
itself etc).

--
Karthik Krishnan
R&D Engineer,