[Insight-users] what next after hello world??

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Feb 7 11:56:47 EST 2009

Hi Kiti,

You can do this by using the two following ITK examples
one after another.

   A) Read the DICOM series and convert it to
      the MetaImage 3D filefomat with the example:

      Insight/Examples/IO
                DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx

      in the command line you pass as arguments:

          1) the directory where you have the DICOM files
          2) the name of the metaimage file (e.g. myImage.mha)

    B) Now convert the 3D MetaImage to a series of JPEG files
       by using the example:

      Insight/Examples/IO
              ImageReadImageSeriesWrite.cxx

---

Note that this is in general a *very dangerous* thing to do,
since it removes valuable patient information and essential
image information such as Orientation, Origin and Spacing.

     DICOM files are intended for managing patient data

     JPEG files are designed for storing the pictures of a
          birthday party, or the pictures of a dog sleeping
          in a park.

Converting DICOM to JPEG in a clinical context would be a
very irresponsible thing to do. (the same goes for PNG).

If you are doing this just because you can use trivial image
viewers like the Windows fax viewer, I would strongly encourage
you to rather use DICOM-capable visualization such as:

      a) Slicer    www.slicer.org
      b) VV        http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/288
      c) SNAP      http://www.itksnap.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php
      d) Osirix    http://www.osirix-viewer.com/