[Insight-users] [Insight-developers] Cuda ITK

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:58:08 EST 2009

Hi Gaetan,

I too have been following the closely development of the GPGPU field
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpgpu
and waiting for ITK to jump on board (unfortunately I have had little
spare time to spearhead this myself).

I remember speaking to Luis at a t-con last year about ITK+CUDA and he
mentioned one of outcomes of the project was discovering that CUDA is
not (yet) very portable (i.e. code that works on one NVIDIA card, does
not necessarily work on another).

If ITK is going to be GPGPU-enabled, then perhaps the OpenCL standard
will provide more portability:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL

Obviously OpenCL is still new (version 1.0 approved December 8, 2008),
but I imagine we'll start seeing supporting hardware soon
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1228825271885.html
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Takes-Up-OpenCL-1-0-Puts-More-Effort-on-ATI-Stream-SDK-99578.shtml
and maybe even Intel's Larrabee
    http://www.hpcwire.com/blogs/OpenCL_On_the_Fast_Track_33608199.html

(I don't think NVIDIA or ATI has to date officially announced a chip
with OpenCL support...I'd be happy to be proved wrong...)

Because much of this is still speculative, it doesn't really factor
into your discussion about what hardware to buy today... Just a
warning: while CUDA is the pioneer, it may not be be around to see the
real action.

Cheers, Dan