[Insight-users] Rigid3DTransform error Attempting to set a non-orthogonal rotation matrix

Matthias Keil matthias.keil at igd.fraunhofer.de
Thu Feb 12 09:43:01 EST 2009

Hello,

with regards to this e-mail to the mailing list which unfortunately did
not get any feedback:

http://www.nabble.com/funning-observation-regarding-SetMatrix%28%29-in-VersorRigid3DTransform-class--tp20409801p20409801.html

I am writing to the mailing list hoping to get some more insight into the problem.

Using Rigid3DTransform and the Amoeba optimizer for registration of 2 volumes (one was manually rotated by 5 degrees around the x axis) seems to be quite challenging to me. Unfortunately I can't initialize my registration in a way which makes it compute any iterations. I do get the error "Attempting to set a non-orthogonal rotation matrix" mentioned in the subject everytime. As pinpress guessed right, there is a test for the identity matrix.
> My guess is that in ITK library somewhere, there is a check (e.g., to check
> if determinant of the matrix is exactly 1, because it is a "rigid"
> transform), but the tolerance is not set properly which caused the problem
> that I experience.
This test is implemented in itkRigid3DTransform.txx line 77.

I am using the following parameter values for Rigid3DTransform:
- first 9 rotation parameters are set to 0.1
- the three translation parameters are set to 0.001

And the simplex delta parameter values for the optimizer:
- first 9 values set to 5
- the last 3 values set to 0 (as there is no translation)

My question is now as pinpress already asked
> However, is such checking necessary?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Matthias