[Insight-users] [Insight-developers] Cuda ITK

Badri Roysam roysam at ecse.rpi.edu
Thu Feb 12 09:50:17 EST 2009

We invested heavily in GPUs and CUDA in my lab a couple of years ago. Our practical
experience has been that these things don't work quite as we had imagined from the
advertising. In other words, when we compiled our vessel segmentation codes on CUDA,
we found no speedup (in some case, it was slower than optimized compilation on the CPU.
It took a lot of work to get speedup over serial code. You have to rethink your
code to suit a streaming architecture, and spend time working out the data flows carefully.
Overall, we learned that the effort involved in building
"GPU versions" of existing routines is
manpower intensive. I am interested to know what others' experience has been.

Badri Roysam
Professor, Department of Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering
Associate Director, NSF Center for Subsurface Sensing & Imaging Systems (CenSSIS ERC)
Co-Director, Rensselaer Center for Open Source Software
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street, Troy, New York 12180-3590, USA.
Office(JEC 7010): 518-276-8067, Assistant: 518-276-8525, Lab(JEC 6308): 518-276-8207, Fax: 518-276-8715
Email: roysam at ecse.rpi.edu, Web: http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/~roysam