[Insight-users] Profiling ParallelSparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Sun Feb 15 15:56:37 EST 2009

Could you please post the datasets you are using, initial level set etc..

It would be best if you could try on the dataset available in the following
paper, from which the parallel sparse field is implemented. They report a
near linear speedup until 15 processors or so,

www.cs.utah.edu/research/techreports/2005/pdf/UUCS-05-002.pdf

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Brady McCary
<brady.mccary+ITK at gmail.com<brady.mccary%2BITK at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> insight-users,
>
> I have done some superficial profiling of a level set method using
> ParallelSparseFIeldLevelSetImageFilter. The results are as follows:
>
> 1 Thread(s)
> real    12m0.678s
>
> 2 Thread(s)
> real    20m51.607s
>
> 3 Thread(s)
> real    18m27.440s
>
> 4 Thread(s)
> real    17m2.819s
>
> 5 Thread(s)
> real    15m57.489s
>
> All runs were exactly the same except for the NumberOfThreads argument
> to the filter. As you can see, I am experiencing a penalty for
> multithreading. I have not tested more than 5 simultaneous threads,
> but I will test 6, 7, and 8 threads this week when the hardware is
> available to me. If the trend continues, then probably around 7 or 8
> threads I will benefit from multithreading.
>
> However, this is contrary to my reckoning, and my computation should
> scale (mostly) linearly with the number of threads. I would like to
> discover the culprit. Would someone familiar with this filter
> recommend a general course of action?
>
> For posterity, some keywords: thread, profile, gprof.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brady

Karthik Krishnan
R&D Engineer,