[Insight-users] CT range and Volume Rendering

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Feb 15 16:30:04 EST 2009

Hi Prabhat,

The range of Hounsfield Units values for most tissues are relatively
stable. However, they will vary from patient to patient. For example,
the amount of body fat may affect the final intensities and noise
level of a CT image.

Here are typical values for some tissues

       http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_Hounsfield_Units

Note that ITK doesn't provide any visualization capabilities.

You may want to try VolumeRendering with VTK.

If you want to experiment with Predefined transfer functions you
may want to try the VolView

      http://www.kitware.com/products/volview.html

You may also want to try DeVIDE

     http://visualisation.tudelft.nl/Projects/DeVIDE