[Insight-users] Getting overlap region

Andreas Schuh andreas.schuh.84 at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 17 06:24:00 EST 2009

Hi!

Well, that's more or less the same issue, when I was thinking about
this overlap thing. Well, I got a solver from a fellow that computed
an overlap cube of two other cubes that has minimal extent/volume,
where the direction of this cube is the one of the coordinate system
(this solver is based on a simplex approach I think). I've implemented
an ITK filter that uses this solver to get an ImageRegion and
Direction matrix (orientation of the overlap cube), where I set the
direction to the direction of the fixed image. These can then be
passes to ResampleImageFilter to resample both images, fixed and
moving, within the overlap. Unfortunately, my current implementation
doesn't work. However, I didn't focus on this any more as for me, it
was enough to just resample both images on a grid with the same
direction and extent as the fixed image. This is because non-
parametric registratration requires non-rigid pre-registration in most
cases. So the misalignment of the image regions themselves isn't that
much (and the borders seldomly contain something of interest). After
pre-registration you could also just resample the images on a grid
with the direction of the fixed image but the extent large enough to
cover at least both fixed and moving images.

I think I just have an idea how you can get the mask you want.

Resample the moving image on a grid that has the same direction and
size as the fixed image. So, use ResampleImageFilter and set the fixed
image as reference image. Set the outside value appropriately to
reflect the "masked out meaning".
Depending on the mask format your metric assumes, you may just use the
resulting image as mask or apply a threshold to get a binary mask image.

--
regards
Andreas