[Insight-users] 3D segmentation of LUNGS ( Region growing algorithm ) Need help

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Feb 18 10:20:55 EST 2009

Hi Wassim,

Please do the following:

0) Extract a region of interest that includes the Trackea,
    and the full Lungs, but not the head of the patient
    (e.g. cut below the head, somewhere in the neck).
    You can use the RegionOfInterestImageFilter for this.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1RegionOfInterestImageFilter.html

1) Use the ConnectedThresholdImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ConnectedThresholdImageFilter.html

2) Set seed points inside the Trackea
    (one seed point should be enough

3) Set the lower threshold to -700 Hounsfield Units

4) Set the upper threshodl to -200 Hounsfield Units

5) Run the filter

This shoudld give you a binary mask of the two lungs.

If you find many holes inside the mask, you could
clean it up with the Morphological filters or the
Voting Hole filling filters.

         Start typing....   :-)

Once you are done, please keep in mind that we are
happy to get "case studies" as papers to the Insight
Journal. http://www.insight-journal.org/

These, more than "papers", are actually "technical
reports". Yours could be entitled "Using ITK for
Lung segmentation".

Please let us know if you need any help on writing
this report.