[Insight-users] 3D segmentation of LUNGS ( Region growing algorithm ) Need help

wassim_belhadj at topnet.tn wassim_belhadj at topnet.tn
Mon Feb 23 10:20:01 EST 2009

Hi Luis,

Thank you verey much :-)

I fixed the source code as you tell me.

Unfortunately, I am not able to segment the lungs.

I even change my input (I restrint to a single image) :

NDims = 3
DimSize = 512 512 1
ElementSpacing =0.777344 0.777344 0.7
Position = 0 0 0
ElementByteOrderMSB = False
ElementType = MET_SHORT
HeaderSize = -1
ElementDataFile = 0Im.raw

I attached a sceenshot that shows the choice of seeds points and my input
file.

http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images-100/seed,9e5eadad6d95552df4fdb83c2c4b36f4.jpg.html

I have also check my Input file with VolView so I am sure that the lungs
are between -950 and -550  Hounsfield Units.

So, I set my lowerThreshold to -950 and the pperThreshold to -550.

 ==> The segmentation was not conclusive (A black Volume result).

Can you please help me I'm in a trouble

Below the  code that I used :

/*****************************************************************/
/*****************************************************************/

  #include "itkConnectedThresholdImageFilter.h"
  #include "itkImage.h"
  #include "itkImageFileReader.h"
  #include "itkImageFileWriter.h"
  #include "itkCastImageFilter.h"
int main( int argc, char *argv[])
{

   typedef   signed short         InternalPixelType;
   typedef   signed short        OutputPixelType;
   const     unsigned int   Dimension = 3;

   typedef itk::Image< InternalPixelType, Dimension >  InternalImageType;
   typedef itk::Image< OutputPixelType, Dimension > OutputImageType;

    typedef  itk::ImageFileReader< InternalImageType > ReaderType;
    typedef  itk::ImageFileWriter<  OutputImageType  > WriterType;

    WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();

  reader->SetFileName( "c:/VTKEdge_Base_Test/images/Input.mhd" );
  writer->SetFileName( "c:/VTKEdge_Base_Test/images/Output.mhd" );

    typedef itk::ConnectedThresholdImageFilter< InternalImageType,
OutputImageType > ConnectedFilterType;

    ConnectedFilterType::Pointer connectedThreshold =
ConnectedFilterType::New();

    connectedThreshold->SetInput( reader->GetOutput() );
    writer->SetInput( connectedThreshold->GetOutput() );

	  const InternalPixelType lowerThreshold = -950 ;
    const InternalPixelType upperThreshold = -550;

    connectedThreshold->SetLower(  lowerThreshold  );
    connectedThreshold->SetUpper(  upperThreshold  );

    connectedThreshold->SetReplaceValue( 255 );

    // As in the sceenshot
    InternalImageType::IndexType  index;
    index[0] =  125.93;
    index[1] =  129.042 ;

 connectedThreshold->SetSeed( index );

    try
      {
      writer->Update();
      }
    catch( itk::ExceptionObject & excep )
      {
      std::cerr << "Exception caught !" << std::endl;
      std::cerr << excep << std::endl;
      }

    return 0;
  }