[Insight-users] Advice on 2D image to 3D Mesh registration

Carl Trapani carl at skytopsoftware.com
Wed Feb 25 13:58:24 EST 2009

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand if the approach I'm taking is feasible and
would love any feedback from those more experienced and knowledgeable
than I. I don't have much time to explore the numerous alternatives that
exist and could really use some expert advice.

We are trying to build a 3D visualization system for gene expression
spot data, much like the Allen Brain Atlas Brain Explorer. The idea is
to display spots from cross sectional specimens within a 3D mesh model
of the mouse cerebellum. Additionally, we want to show the spot data at
different stages of cerebellar development. The essential problem is how
to establish a spatial reference system that is consistent across
developmental stages and then how to register the cross sectioned spot
data to fit into that system.

Our approach is to develop 3D mesh models at each stage of development.
These models will then act as fixed images to register the spot data
sections to. Because the 3D mesh models only indicate the cerebellar
boundary surface, while the gene expression image sections show spots
for a specific genes within the entire cerebellar region, we cannot
register the spot data directly against the model (right?). Our approach
is to register 2D boundary images or masks, one sliced out of the model
corresponding to the slice plane that created the spot data cross
section, the other a manually traced spline around the spot data
cerebellar structure. The resulting transformation from the 2D to 2D
mask registration can then be applied to the spot data. Now, we hope to
be able to stack these spot data sections, import as volume data and
only have to re-scale and align bounding boxes to be able to fit the
spots inside the model.

We are considering a landmark registration process for the 2D to 2D mask
registration.

Thanks much for any of your thoughts - including the "it'll never work"
ones. Also, pointers to papers or examples would be appreciated or
references to materials/links (I have both Insight into Images and the
Visualization Toolkit books - so reference that content if needed :-)

Thanks,
Carl Trapani