[Insight-users] PointSetToImageRegistrationMethod

Alon Mozes amozes77 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 22:48:48 EST 2009

Hi Luis,
Thanks so much for your reply!  I think your advice is spot on. Specifically...

1)  You're right.  RGB is not actually used beyond the typedef.  Unfortunately, it's messy code that has some leftovers from all the variations I've tried.  I neglected to delete that line.

2) Normalized correlation metric seems to work with the code I'm using.

a) I verified in VolView that the edge is, as you mentioned, quite variable.  I have now created a solid point cloud (instead of just the surface point model) to try to mitigate that.  Along with other fixes you suggested (see e), it seems to work reasonably well (at least a 90% solution) but I may need to try something else if I can't get that last 10%.  I looked at the gradient magnitude also in VolView and the edge looks a little wide which I'm guessing could lead to the same uncertainty in the registration.  I'm guessing the perfect match can only be achieved if the edge in the scan is sharp regardless of what method I use.

b) I do extract a surface using contours (just for visualization) but it doesn't look especially accurate.  I'd like to avoid a more involved segmentation if I don't need an accurate model.

c) I can get values of -0.7 to -0.9 now, depending on the initial guess.  Since the edge falls off in value in the scan, I'm guessing a perfect -1.0 is too much to ask for.

d) Since it's working, I haven't had the chance to dump the value at each iteration.

e) This was it!! My initial rotation step value of 20 was too high (I must've played around with that value assuming it was degrees and never revisited it).  Changing it to 0.1 radians did the trick.  The points line up reasonably well with the scan.  Now I just have to get it to be rock solid every time.  I'm thinking improving the initial guess will help a lot.  Also, if my final result value is worse than -0.8, I should bump the initial guess and try to register again.

I'm open to any other ideas to perfecting the solution.  Thanks again for your help!

Alon