[Insight-users] Difference between CurvesLevelSetImageFilter and GeodesicActiveContourLevelSetImageFilter

Koen Vermeer koen at vermeer.tv
Tue Jan 13 09:13:03 EST 2009

Hi,

I was making a list of all the levelset filters in ITK, to get some idea
of when to use which one. For starters, I'm looking at how the advection
(A), propagation (P) and k-modifier (Z) terms are created. However, it
seems that for both CurvesLevelSetImageFilter and
GeodesicActiveContourLevelSetImageFilter, P and Z are set to g(x) (which
is the input image), and A is calculated by the negative of the gradient
of g(x). When looking at the documentation, I couldn't find any
difference in the way these filters work.

Am I looking at two implementations of the same thing? Or are there
actual differences? My next step is to look at the source, but that may
be a rather long journey...

Thanks!

Koen