[Insight-users] Difference between CurvesLevelSetImageFilter and GeodesicActiveContourLevelSetImageFilter

Koen Vermeer koen at vermeer.tv
Tue Jan 13 10:09:39 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 15:27 +0100, Luca Antiga wrote:
> Anyway, in Curves the curvature term uses minimal principal curvature,
> instead of mean curvature (as in
> GeodesicActiveContourLevelSetImageFilter). You can find the
> implementation of both mean and minimal curvature in
> itkLevelSetFunction.txx. The ComputeMinimalCurvature is what is called
> in Curves rather than mean curvature.
> This has the effect that tubular surfaces are smoothed along their
> longitudinal direction while the circumferential direction is
> preserved. You can take a look at the papers by Lorigo to learn more
> about this method (google for: curves lorigo).

Thanks for the explanation. I found the Lorigo paper, and will try to
determine what will work best for me. I'm looking at layered structures,
and am trying to decide which way to go.

One option is to start at the top, and try to find each interface
successively, each time adding the new layer to the segmented layers
(which would, at all time, be 'inside' the zero level set). The
advantage is that there is only one interface to consider, but the
interior of the level set may not be homogeneous.

Alternatively, I could try to do it layer-by-layer. First segment the
top layer, then the next one, etc. In that case, the zero level set
would only encompass one layer at any time. In this case, the interior
of the level set contains a single object, but there are multiple
interfaces with different properties.

Anyway, thanks again for your explanation!

Best,
Koen