[Insight-users] Point-set registration

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Jan 15 13:15:41 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM, aditya saurabh <adisaurabh at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to using itk for registration. I have to perform registration of
> point set pairs which need not have same number of points and also may have
> extraneous points which should not contribute to the final result of the
> registration. The use of simple translation transform for this results in
> wrong result. The itk documentation suggested the use of the
> itkKernelTransform to perform registration of point sets.

First off, the user of kernel transforms is going to require you to have
point correspondances.  You've mentioned that you may not have the same
number of points. So this wouldn't be applicable.

Please somebody tell me how to go about doing that.

> P.S. I need the translation results in pixels.

Second, its not clear if you are just seeking merely a translation
transform. The use of kernel transforms or ICP etc is an overkill. You could
use the itkLandBasedTransformInitializer which can compute the best fitting
rotation (or affine) transform that maps the landmark pairs (if you have
correspondance). If not use the difference in the centroids.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Aditya

Karthik Krishnan
R&D Engineer,