[Insight-users] mpi and itk

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu Jan 22 07:40:40 EST 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 21:46:36 David Fuentes wrote:
> has anyone experimented with parallelizing  ITK image data
> structures via MPI? How did you go about it?

Yes, I've tried some very simple steps. I split image regions. I've pasted
pieces together, and sent pieces to other nodes. I posted what I did to the
list but I can't remember when.

> I'm thinking of partitioning the image with
> RegionOfInterestImageFilter so that each processor
> can own a subdomain of the image to process?

I used a modified image region splitter, ExtractImageFilter, and
PasteImageFilter, but the same idea.

> not sure how to handle ghost element/pixels however...

With image regions it's easy enough to just add or subtract the number of
border pixels to the region.  What happens next I suppose depends on the
algorithm.

What task are you trying to do?

I've been dreaming about an MPI fast marching image filter.