[Insight-users] Multi-Threaded Registration

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Jan 22 10:45:41 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Michael Jackson <
mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:

> I noticed the method SetNumberOfThreads(int); in the RegistrationMethod
> class. I set this to "2" (I have a Dual Core machine) but when I run my
> registration code I am not seeing both CPU's utilized, I just get 1 CPU
> fully utilized. Are there only specific Registration Methods that are
> multi-threaded or am I mis-interpreting what this method is supposed to do.

Yes.

The components of the registration methods are :

- Metric
- Optimizer
- Transform
- Resampling stage

Some (not all) of the metrics are multi-threaded. These are the Mattes MI,
Mean Squares and Match Cardinality image metrics. You need to turn on the
ITK_USE_OPTIMIZED_REGISTRATION_METHODS flag.

The resampling (to resample the moving image using the transform onto the
fixed image) is multithreaded.

--
Karthik Krishnan
R&D Engineer,