[Insight-users] reading Dicom Volume

Iván Macía imacia at vicomtech.org
Tue Jan 27 09:37:12 EST 2009

Dear shoosh moosh?,

It seems like the GDCM DICOM reader streaming capabilities are not yet
supported. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

If you are really really sure that your DICOM files correspond to the same
volume, you can do something that, although a bit complicated, may work. But
this will only select a subvolume by not loading some of the slices.

You can use a GDCMImageIO object directly to read the information of the
first image to figure out the in-plane dimensions and spacing. The number of
slices would be the same as the number of file names.

The z-spacing you need to calculate it from the Image Position Patient and
Image Orientation Patient DICOM tags. I think code for this is somewhere in
the ImageSeriesReader class. This way you can calculate a Z-distance for
each slice and select the range of slices (and thus file names) that are
valid for you.

Finally you can use a standard ImageSeriesReader and pass it the subset of
file names in order to create the file name. In this case you won’t need the
in-plane dimensions or spacing.

To reduce the in-plane dimensions you would need to load the corresponding
slices and then use something as RegionOfInterestImageFilter or
ExtractImageFilter.

I made something similar to read slice by slice a DICOM series and generate
a projection in order to select a volume of interest. Maybe there is a
better solution but this worked for me.

Regards

Ivan