[Insight-users] updating softwareguide ?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jul 1 12:38:09 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this detailed description.

As you pointed out,
it is important to provide more context on how to use methods for a class.

We find easier to do this in the Examples, than in the Doxygen
documentation,
but it clearly could be done in both.

You point out as well that a lot more of cross-referencing could be helpful.
The PDF version of the Software Guide, has hyperlinks to the Doxygen
documentation, but not the other way around.

It will be nice if the Doxygen documentation pointed out to sections of
the Software Guide (we will have to come up with a maintainable system
of links... preferably fully automatic...).

Clarifying what should be the order of method calls is very important.
This is commonly overlooked and a becomes a common cause of
frustration.   Developers tend to be aware of the "order dependencies"
and forget to make them explicit in the documentation.

All in all, we should find a channel for gathering the collective wisdom
and experience of the ITK community,  in such a way that users can
get quickly to functional examples of code, sets of parameters and
example images.