[Insight-users] Reading a DICOM image from a memory buffer

Murthi, Shiva IN BLR SISL Shiva.Murthi at siemens.com
Thu Jul 2 10:05:55 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have the following scenario vis-à-vis a Client-Server based DICOM transfer system:

1.       The server does not open and read a DICOM file but maps the file to memory.

2.       The memory-mapped file is transferred to the client via a network (i.e. it does not separate the header and pixel data and transfer them separately).

3.       At the client-side I need to have a module that can read the byte-stream data from the memory and separate the pixel data and header information(It is difficult to identify the packets at the client end, whether they are the header data or the pixel data).

As far as I am aware, itkImageFileReader (with itkGDCMImageIO as its IO-format) can read a DICOM file given a filename and retrieve the header and pixel information, which can then be assigned to an itkMetaDataObject and itkImage respectively.
Also, itkImportImageFilter can read a contiguous buffer in memory, containing only pixel-data, and assign it to an itkImage.

My question is this - Are there currently any mechanisms in ITK to read a memory-mapped DICOM-buffer, decode the buffer into the DICOM header and pixel data and assign them to an itkMetaDataObject and itkImage respectively?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Shiva

Important notice: This e-mail and any attachment there to contains corporate proprietary information. If you have received it by mistake, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments from your system.
Thank You.