[Insight-users] Orthogonality tolerance test

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jul 2 18:38:34 EDT 2009

Hi Andy,

Thanks for pointing this out.

We have struggled in the past with the selection
of values to be used as tolerances...

We tend to put tolerances that are too stringent,
and sometimes unrealistic.  I recall that recently
Hans Johnson fixed several classes that were
using tolerances that were too exigent.

You may be pointing out to a case that also needs
reevaluation.

Any suggestions on what could be a realistic value,
that is still making sure that we don't take in matrices
that are too deformed ?

Also, another option to consider is that we have code
that computes the Orthogonal part of a Matrix that
is not fully orthogonal. This is done via Polar decomposition,

See for example
http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2006-August/019025.html

You could use this code for cleaning up that Matrix,
before passing it to the Rigid Transform.

Please let us know what you think is a better approach,