[Insight-users] itkPointSetFileWriter?

David Doria daviddoria+itk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 16:11:11 EDT 2009

Is there an itkPointSetWriter? Or are you supposed to convert pointsets to
images using PointSetToImageFilter and then use itkImageWriter? I have been
using VTK and am just learning ITK so I am trying to draw parallels... it
seems like an itkImage is like a vtkStructuredGrid, and an itkPointSet is
like a vtkUnstructuredGrid/vtkPolyData. The reason I am looking for an
itkPointSetFileWriter is because there is a vtkPolyDataWriter which I use to
write unstructured 3d point sets.

Am I missing something? Or can someone explain how point clouds are intended
to be stored/retrieved with itk? I noticed in some examples (i.e. ICP) that
the points were just stored as ascii values in a .txt file - is this the
standard procedure?

Thanks,

David