[Insight-users] itkPointSetFileWriter?

David Doria daviddoria+itk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:45:30 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> You may want to take a look at
>
> Insight/Code/Review
>    itkVTKPolyDataReader.h
>    itkVTKPolyDataReader.txx
>    itkVTKPolyDataWriter.h
>    itkVTKPolyDataWriter.txx
>

> They will Write and Read VTK legacy files.
>
> They have been used mostly with itk::Mesh
> but they should work fine with itk::PointSet.
>

> Please let us know if you find any problem,
>

>    Thanks
>

>       Luis

Three things:

1) If these are legacy readers, what replaced them?

2) I found a good example in Insight/Testing/Code/Review, but I found this
directory empty: Insight/Examples/Review - maybe the test should also be
copied to the example directory? Or at least a text file with a pointer to
the Testing directory?

3) I tried the example (itkVTKPolyDataReaderTest.cxx) with a simple vtp file
(attached, 3 points) and I get this error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
  what():  basic_string::basic_string
Aborted

It was made with vtkXMLPolyDataWriter, is that the problem?

I've been doing all of my work using VTK and then making a vtp file and
viewing the results in Paraview. However, it seems like ITK has much more
functionality for what I'm doing (point cloud/ mesh manipulation) so I'm
trying to convert my code. That is why I am wondering what the "recommended"
file type is for this kind of data.

Thanks for the help so far!

David