[Insight-users] B-spline deformations for image registration? (Vol 63, Issue 31

Julia A. Schnabel julia.schnabel at eng.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 08:37:13 EDT 2009

insight-users-request at itk.org wrote:

> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:33:01 +0200
> From: motes motes <mort.motes at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Insight-users] B-spline deformations for image registration?
> To: insight-users at itk.org
>
> Most of the B-spline deformations in an image registration procedure I have
> read about typically use uniform B-splines. I have seen that development on
> non-uniform B-splines is in progress in ITK. But what benefits are earned
> from non-uniform B-splines in image registration?
>
> I have read an article on non-uniform spacing of the control points in
> relation to image registration:
>
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/0q3bfeunq4avrwdf/
>
> But to define a non-uniform spacing of the control points one does not
> necessarily need to use non-uniform knot-vectors.
>
> The purpose of non-uniform knot-vectors as I understand is to have different
> weights for each control point, but to my knowledege no results with this
> approach has been published.

Hello,

yes indeed, you can use regular FFDs, and only allow some control points
to move, in order to emulate non-uniform FFDs.

Main benefits are: fewer degrees of freedom to optimize = faster; more
localized deformations (e.g. within brain mask, or automatically in
regions of high local intensity variance, or steep cost gradient) =
possibility to focus into relevant regions (especially if used with
multi-level FFDs or subdivision techniques); regular mesh = easy mesh
traversal and isotropic optimization parameters

Disadvantage: you still need a big regular mesh even if only few control
points remain activated. One can however layer smaller B-spline patches
(over smaller FOVs - e.g. the work by Gustavo Rhode).

I don't know how much of that algorithm has made it into ITK, but simply
assigning a control point status to each control point, or even to each
of its 3 degrees of freedom, and querying this status before any
deformation is applied, should do the trick.

Best regards,
Julia Schnabel

--
Julia A. Schnabel, PhD                University Lecturer (Medical Imaging)
University of Oxford                  Fellow, St. Hilda's College