[Insight-users] Multi Modality Image Co Registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 7 17:27:28 EDT 2009

Hi Albert,

1) You can monitor the registration process by using Command/Observers
    that listen to the IterationEvents thrown by the Optimizer.

2) You may find useful as well the vtkRegistrationMonitor class that
    is available at

           InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk

    it generates surface renderings of the images being registered,
    as the registration progresses.

3) You can initialize the registration process with landmarks,
    by using the class

           itkLandmarkBasedTransformInitializer

    You will have to find the locations of the landmarks in both
    the CT and MRI images, and then pass the coordinates of the
    landmarks to the Initializer class.

4)  You can't view anything with ITK.   :-)

     ITK doesn't provide visualization capabilities.

     You may want to implement your visualization code using VTK.
     (or see item 5. below).

5)  If you want to verify the quality of the registration process,
     You may want to try VV:

          http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/rio/vv

     or Slicer:

          http://www.slicer.org