[Insight-users] Fundamental question about image registration

Matthias Keil matthias.keil at igd.fraunhofer.de
Thu Jul 9 11:55:50 EDT 2009

Dear all,

me and a colleague came up with a fundamental question about how to
choose the fixed and moving image for the registration.

My colleague is working with a PET Volume with a pretty bad resolution
and a CT volume with a small voxel size.

In my case I deal with an Ultrasound volume with 0.1132 mm resolution in
plane and 2 mm plane thickness and a CT volume with 0.5 mm in each
direction.

The question is now would you choose the volume with better resolution
as the fixed image or would you use it to move around?

I tend to use the CT images (better resolution) as moving images.

Is there a rule of thumb or a scientific answer to our problem? Maybe
even a publication?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Matthias