[Insight-users] Problems with optimizer in DeformableRegistration4.c++

motes motes mort.motes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 04:07:20 EDT 2009

I get an error when I run DeformableRegistration4.c++ related to the
itk::LBFGSOptimizer optimizer.

As Luis recommended I have therefore changed the optimizer to
itk::RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer. I have only changed the following
optimizer related code in the example:

// Old itk::LBFGSOptimizer settings
// optimizer->SetGradientConvergenceTolerance( 0.05 );
// optimizer->SetLineSearchAccuracy( 0.9 );
// optimizer->SetDefaultStepLength( 1.5 );
// optimizer->TraceOn();
// optimizer->SetMaximumNumberOfFunctionEvaluations( 1000 );

To (based on the settings to the itk::RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer
from DeformableRegistration15.c++ ):

  OptimizerScalesType optimizerScales(transform->GetNumberOfParameters() );
  const double translationScale = 1.0 / 1000.0;
  optimizerScales[0] = 1.0;
  optimizerScales[1] = 1.0;
  optimizerScales[2] = 1.0;
  optimizerScales[3] = translationScale;
  optimizerScales[4] = translationScale;
  optimizerScales[5] = translationScale;
  optimizer->SetScales( optimizerScales );
  optimizer->SetMaximumStepLength( 0.2000  );
  optimizer->SetMinimumStepLength( 0.0001 );
  optimizer->SetNumberOfIterations( 200 );

But when I run it on the following fixed and moving images:

Fixed: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4683/lenad.jpg

Moving: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4364/lenadeform1.jpg

the result is completely identical to the moving image:

Result (registered image):
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3148/lenaout.png

Any ideas on what goes wrong? Is it related to the input images or do I need
to tweak the new optimizer further?