[Insight-users] jumps in MSE for multiresolution registration

Ramón Casero Cañas ramon.casero at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 06:47:07 EDT 2009

Ramón Casero Cañas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have implemented a basic registration algorithm following the ITK
> Guide examples, I get "jumps" in the MSE metric when changing scales,
> and I'm not sure whether this behaviour is to be expected.

Hi,

I have further studied this problem with some modifications to
Examples/Registration/MultiResImageRegistration1.cxx, and the same
"jumps" when changing scales are observed.

Basically, I have changed the metric of
Examples/Registration/MultiResImageRegistration1.cxx to
itkMeanSquaresImageToImageMetric.h, the data Dimension to 3, and reduced
the step lengths accordingly to the image size. (See attached diff for
details, and attached .cxx for full code).

I have attached also the graph with the Mean Square Error (MSE) over
iterations of the optimizer. The dashed vertical lines show iteration 0
at each new level in the multiresolution algorithm.

Why the jumps in the MSE? If we have 2 images at a coarse scale with a
certain MSE, and then we just refine the scale, shouldn't the MSE be
very similar (but for some interpolation differences)?

Best regards,

Ramon.

--
Ramón Casero Cañas, DPhil

Computational Biology, Computing Laboratory
University of Oxford
Wolfson Building, Parks Rd
Oxford OX1 3QD

tlf     +44 (0) 1865 610807