[Insight-users] python wrapping InsightToolkit versus itk

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Jul 23 16:42:29 EDT 2009

Le 12 juil. 09 à 10:22, Rick Giuly a écrit :

> Hello All,
>
> I apologize for the naivety of this question... python ITK files
> apparently have two forms, one that uses "import InsightToolkit" and
> one that uses "import itk" which different syntax to go with each.

I assume you are speaking of WrapITK (and only WrapITK) in the rest of
this mail.

> Is the "InsightToolkit" form now obsolete?

Yes, mostly. It is still there to keep something close of the old
coding style available. I'm not sure that's much useful though, as I
believe that the new "itk" module provide a better notation.

> In general, with old (or new) code that uses InsightToolkit, can
> InsightToolkit simply be replaced with the "itk" module - or are
> they actually different?

The wrapped code is the same, but the notation are different. You
can't replace "import itk" by "import InsightToolkit as itk".
InsightToolkit contains the raw classes produced by cableswig, without
any customization to make the usage of the template parameters easier.

> Has the itk module taken over all the functionality of
> InsightToolkit module?

Yes. If you find something available in InsightToolkit but not
available in itk, please let me know - it's likely to be a bug.

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)