[Insight-users] ultimate erode set (erode up to object centres)

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Thu Jul 23 17:55:02 EDT 2009

Dear Gaëtan Lehmann,

Thank You very much for Your answer.

On 23/07/09 22:27:28, Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:
>> In total I want to create a small program that separates and labels
>> pores/particles by watersheds.
>
> How do you use the ultimated eroded for that task?
> Usually, the watershed on the distance map is quite good for this task.

Well in the end I want to get the markers for the watershed that lie within a defined distance to be grouped to only one marker (or just one marker of these to be left over).

After thinking more about this, I think using the ultimated eroded and a closing filter for this is wrong. (MAVI docs: http://www.itwm.fhg.de/bv/projects/MAVI/Documents/MAVI.pdf)

>>> I'm looking for a filter that iteratively erodes until only the
>>> centres are left over. In the mavi docs it's discrribed as: "
>>> The Ultimate Eroded (Dilated) Set is defined only for MONO images.
>>> It is the union of all connected components of foreground
>>> (background)
>>> pixels that disappear completely in each step of successive erosions
>>> (dilations) performed on the input image. The structuring element is
>>> defined
>>> by the neighborhood, which can be chosen in the dialog."
>>>

>>> Is there such a filter in ITK? Or can it be implemented easily?
>>> I couldn't find any hint searching in the user's guide nor in the
>>> doxygen docs nor in the insight journal.
>
> I don't think there is such a filter in ITK. It shouldn't be that hard
> to implement though, and would make a great contribution to the insight
> journal!

I'll wait a little more until I got more familiar with ITK but I'd be very happy if I could contribute a little to this great project.

Regards,
Lynx