[Insight-users] SignedDanielssonDistanceMap: squared distances inexact?

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Sun Jul 26 16:09:55 EDT 2009

Dear Dan Mueller,

Thank You for Your quick reply with the examples.
What   I   still   wonder   is   why   I   don't   get   2   when  I  ask  the
SignedDanielssonDistanceMap for squared  distance  output.  Squared  distances
should  be  always  integers  (if  I'm  not mistaken) and should go in the tif
unmodified (eg. 2).
Anyway, I changed my intermediat pixel format to float and  the  output  of  a
single white pixel is as I'd expect.
However  if I run my little watershed test program there is one blob (dark red
blobl in blobs_ws03.tif) that is surrounded by four split blobs but itself  is
not  split  although  it  has some crease. I even made the effort to count the
pixels by hand. The  minima-line  is  8  pixels  off  the  rim  in  horizontal
direction.  Now  accounting  for the additional distance to the left up to the
end of the minima-line I'd say the gray values should decrease  further  since
the  distanc  to the left has to be added to the 8 pixels up or down.But still
blobs_rm01.tif has just one minimum. Are my expectations wrong here?
I ran my test prog like this for the pics in the tbz  (h-min  height=  0,  all
fully connectd):
watershed05b blobs.tif blobs_sddm_01.vtk blobs_hm01.tif blobs_rm01.tif blobs_cc01.tif blobs_ws01.tif blobs_ws02.tif blobs_ws03.tif 0 1 1

Thanks for hints or help
Lynx