[Insight-users] Current state of "Active Contours without edges" in Review folder? - Example?

Kishore Mosaliganti kishoreraom at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 08:57:07 EDT 2009

Dear Amardeep,

Please take a look at the Insight Journal publication:

http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/642

All the parameters that you mentioned below are completely explained in the
context of the level-set PDE that was implemented. If you want to know more
about the mathematics , the Insight paper further references the following
papers:

1. T. Chan and L. Vese. An active contour model without edges. In
Scale-Space Theories in Computer Vision, pages 141–151, 1999.
2. A. Dufour, V. Shinin, S. Tajbakhsh, N. Guillen-Aghion, J. C. Olivo-Marin,
and C. Zimmer. Segmenting and tracking fluorescent cells in dynamic 3-d
microscopy with coupled active surfaces. Image Processing, IEEE Transactions
on, 14(9):1396–1410, 2005.

Finally, the parameter m_ReinitializationWeight which was added recently is
by incorporating the method explained in the paper:
3. Chunming Li, Chenyang Xu, Changfeng Gui, and  Martin D. Fox, "Level Set
Evolution Without Re-initialization: A New Variational Formulation",* CVPR
2005*.

In Insight/Examples/Review, we have placed fully commented example codes for
using the filters -- both dense and sparse for the single phase cases.

Here, I explain the parameters once again:

1. CurvatureWeight -  Penalize high curvatures of level set curve or
surface. This also means that if your object to be segmented has small
features on its boundaries, then they will be missed.
2. AreaWeight - Hastens the movement of level-set to its final convergence.
If you initialized in a mostly interior region, then this parameter must be
negative to force the level-set to grow quickly and vice-versa.
3. ReinitializationWeight - This is based on reference 3 above. It forces
the level-set function to remain a signed distance function as it evolves.
You can turn it off (set to 0) in the sparse-field methods since the sparse
implementation is not based on a signed distance function. Only needs to be
used in dense implementation.
4. VolumeWeight - In tracking applications, this will weight the volume term
for the object being tracked.
5. Volume - The volume of the object being tracked in terms of pixels.

Kishore

Finally, please keep checking the CVS version of the code regularly for
getting the latest updates.

Kishore