[Insight-users] Accessing ITK from R

Brandon Whitcher bwhitcher at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 03:30:06 EDT 2009

Badri,

Good question.  I think "wrappers" are the name of the game.

I am an R user, not an ITK user, so my selfish vision of this project is to
create an R software package that provides access to ITK functions directly
through R.  I (naively) assume that C "wrapper" code will have to be written
in order to pass R data structures to the ITK pre-compiled libraries and
then provide the resulting data structures back to R.  The R user would only
need to install the software package (maybe full ITK also, but I hope not)
and start typing commands in R.  More details on how R allows access to the
outside world can be found at

     www.R-project.org (click on "Manuals", then "Writing R Extensions")

One could also allow communication in the other direction; i.e., ITK users
to access R functionality.  Mechanisms for this may also be found in the PDF
document above, but I am only interested in the R -> ITK direction.

Brandon