[Insight-users] Attempt to rotate image resulting in black image.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jun 3 20:42:24 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

We define as "Origin" of an image the physical coordinates of its
pixel with index [0,0,0].

Rotations, are performed by default, with respect to the origin
of the coordinate system (the point with physical coordinates
(0.0, 0.0, 0.0), which doesn't have to coincide with the first
pixel of the image, nor with the central pixel of the image.

In ITK we assume that your image is a representation of some
physical reality (for example a patient's body), and therefore
all transformations should be performed in the context of the
physical coordinates, not the grid of pixels.

The purpose of the "Origin" is that if you use your physical
image acquisition device (microscope, telescope, CT scanner,
MRI scanner, ultrasound device, lidar...) and you acquire
images of different sections of an object that has a physical
manifestation in the real world, then you should be able to
recreate a mosaic of such real object by simply placing the
images in a common coordinate system according to the coordinates
of their origin.

----

In order to understand the behavior of the transformations,
you should think of your image in the context of the physical
coordinate system.

If you want your image to rotate around the one of the pixel
in one of the image corners the you should do the following:

   A) Compute the Index of that pixel

   B) Call image->TransformIndexToPhysicalPoint( index, point )
      to compute the physical coordinates corresponding to this
      pixel. This transformation will take into account the
      image origin, pixel spacing and image orientation.

   C) Call transform->SetCenter( point )
      to tell the transform that you want to use this point
      as the center of rotation.

   D) Connect the transform to the resample filter.

   E) call Update() in the resample filter.

Please let us know if you still find any problem,

     Thanks,

        Luis