[Insight-users] inconsistency in MeanSquaredImageToImageMetric

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Jun 8 12:01:27 EDT 2009

I have been developing some code over the weekend that basically
rotates an image about a fixed point, extracts a section of the image
(ROIImageFilter) and compares that extracted image to another image
from a "Fixed" image. Running the program I will get 1 of several
different results:

1: Segfault
2: Runs, but the values are not correct
3: Runs, but the value _are_ correct
4: Partly runs but will throw an exeception after any number of
iterations:

Angle	-0.4	Metric	6934.48
Angle	-0.38	Metric	6653.89
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'itk::ExceptionObject'
   what():  /Users/Shared/OpenSource/InsightToolkit-3.14.0/Code/Review/
itkOptMeanSquaresImageToImageMetric.txx:162:
itk::ERROR: MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric(0x2266bb0): Too many samples
map outside moving image buffer: 0 / 640000

This is with itk 3.14.0 freshly compiled with Dynamic libs on OS X
10.5.7 intel. This also happens with itk 3.10.1 on the same system
with Static libraries.

  A few questions: Is there a "random" element to the
MeanSquaredImageToImageMetric? Has anyone else ever seen behavior like
this before?

  I have the a-priori knowledge of what the "correct" answer should be
(or at least pretty close to what it should be) but I am working to
make this an automated system.

Thanks for any help or explanations.
Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net