[Insight-users] Distance between surfaces

Koen Vermeer koen at vermeer.tv
Tue Jun 9 12:08:33 EDT 2009

Hi,

My experience with ITK is still rather limited, so I'm looking for help
on which approach would be the best for my problem.

In a 3D volume (note that my pixels are not isotropic), I have two 2D
surfaces (represented by a set of points, or a level set, or whatever
the solution requires). I am looking for a way to determine the minimum
distance between these two surfaces, for each point on these surfaces.

I was thinking about propagating one surface and recording some kind of
distance map on the location of the second surface. Would something like
a distance map be the most appropriate operator, a fast marching filter,
or something else?

Any comments are appreciated; if more information is required, I'd be
more than happy to elaborate on the problem!

Best,
Koen