[Insight-users] Strange error when reading DICOM

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 05:57:04 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:43 AM,
Patrik.Br.<patrik.brynolfsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to read DICOM series from a folder, much like in example
> DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx. However, I modified the reader so that it
> loops over all found series instead of just the first:
>
> SeriesIdContainer::const_iterator seriesItr = seriesUID.begin();
> SeriesIdContainer::const_iterator seriesEnd = seriesUID.end();
> std::string seriesIdentifier;
> typedef std::vector< std::string >   FileNamesContainer;
> FileNamesContainer fileNames;
>
> while( seriesItr != seriesEnd )
>   {
>    seriesIdentifier = seriesItr->c_str();
>    fileNames = nameGenerator->GetFileNames( seriesIdentifier );
>    reader->SetFileNames( fileNames );
>        try{
>            reader->Update();
>            }
>        catch (itk::ExceptionObject &ex)
>            {
>            std::cout << ex << std::endl;
>            return EXIT_FAILURE;
>            }
>
>       {
>        //Some code
>       }
>
>    seriesItr++;
>   }
>
> However I sometimes get the error
> "Requested region is (at least partially) outside the largest possible
> region."
> I first thought this was due to one faulty DICOM series, but it happens for
> many series, but not all of them. It only happens when I read multiple DICOM
> series i.e. when I use the loop, never when I read just one series. Also,
> depending on what other series have been read before, some series might or
> might not be read correctly without error. What's going on?

This means you have DICOM files with:
1. Either different Image Orientation (Patient), (=itk orientation)
2. different dimensions (Columns / Rows).

You can check that image are compatible with simple command line tool
such as gdcminfo from GDCM 2.x package.

Ref:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gdcm/index.php?title=Gdcminfo

Download: