[Insight-users] Create a Structuring Element from an image

Cyril Krykwinski cyril.krykwinski at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:16:02 EDT 2009

Dear insight-users,

I would like to create a 3D Binary Cross Structuring Element, with size =
3x3x1 (i.e. radius = 1x1x0)

1) I tried to define different radius with this code:

//      typedef itk::BinaryCrossStructuringElement<unsigned char,3>
KernelType;
//
//      KernelType cross;
//      KernelType::RadiusType crossRadius;
//      crossRadius[0] = 1;
//      crossRadius[1] = 1;
//      crossRadius[2] = 0;
//      cross.CreateStructuringElement();
//
//      typedef itk::BinaryDilateImageFilter  < InputImageType ,
OutputImageType , KernelType >  DilateFilterType;
//      DilateFilterType::Pointer binaryDilate = DilateFilterType::New( );
//      binaryDilate->SetInput ( inputImage -> GetOutput( ) );
//      binaryDilate->SetKernel ( cross);
//      binaryDilate->SetDilateValue ( 255 );

I tried also other radius, or to change the size with:

//      KernelType::SizeType crossSize;
//      crossSize[0] = 3;
//      crossSize[1] = 3;
//      crossSize[2] = 1;

but I always obtain a dilation with size = 3x3x3 (i.e. radius = 1x1x1)

2) I also tried to create my structuring element from an image (as it was
advised in a precedent message in this mailing list) which is an image 3x3x1
whom pixels are =1 for (x=1) OR (y=1)

imageKernal is the image 3x3x1 of my structuring element.

//      typedef itk::FlatStructuringElement<3> SEType;
//      SEType K;
//      K = SEType::FromImage < InputImageType > ( imageKernel->GetOutput( )
);
//      InputImageType ::Pointer kernelImage = K.GetImage < InputImageType >
( );
//
//      binaryDilate->SetInput(unsignedCharImageContour->GetOutput());
//      binaryDilate->SetKernel(kernelImage);
//      binaryDilate->SetDilateValue( 255 );

but FromImage is not a member of itk::FlatStructuringElement.

So, is it possible to create our own 3D structuring element, directly in ITK
or from an image?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Best regards,

Cyril.