[Insight-users] Convert Zeiss .zvi files

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Jun 29 15:15:02 EDT 2009

Hi Darren,

I'm a little puzzled by the farsight build wiki.  It appears to be nothing
> more than an ITK build, so what's special about "farsight" that it should be
> identified as something more than Insight (ITK)?

FARSIGHT is an effort to provide an image analysis toolkit for microscopy,
based on ITK. There is an (incomplete) list of modules included in FARSIGHT
listed at:

  http://www.farsight-toolkit.org/wiki/Table_of_Contents

It is still very early days for FARSIGHT, with the SVN repository just
opening up in recent weeks, so everything is still pretty rough around the
edges.

Badri Roysam, the head of the project, can comment further on goals and
directions if you are interested.

As for OSX, there are no build instructions (most of the linux instructions
> might apply, but actually it's a lot more complicated because OSX can an
> rpath nightmare when it comes to shared libs).  I think the entire farsight
> build wiki could be replaced, for OSX, with a one line MacPorts command:
>
> sudo port install InsightToolkit
>
> This will probably do everything at all stages identified on this wiki
> thread:

As far as compililng ITK, yes, if the MacPorts version of ITK includes the
CableSWIG stuff with WrapITK. (My understanding is that FARSIGHT needs that
for its Python interface.)

There are still more instructions to be written on compiling FARSIGHT
itself, once all the dependencies are set up.

http://farsight-toolkit.org/wiki/FARSIGHT_Tutorials/Building_Software

> The MacPorts system will take care of all the dependencies (cmake, python,
> cableswig).  Please see this ITK wiki page for more details:
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_MacPorts_Package_Maintainers
>
> Moreover, _please_ link to that page from the farsight tutorial on the
> build process, it might save everyone a lot of time and headaches (because I
> know just how painful it was to put it all together in MacPorts).

Noted on the Building_Software page.

If you need to develop ITK using macports, that might be done too, but it
> requires a little bit of tweaking on the macports installation process.  The
> macports installation uses several phases and a developer could stop after
> the build phase.  At that point, you have a complete source tree and a
> separate build tree.  So you could try this:
>
> sudo port build InsightToolkit
>
> Then go look in the build tree, under /opt/local/var/macports/build/

Cool; I saw this note on the ITK_MacPorts_Package_Maintainers page too, so
hopefully people who care will notice that.

-Curtis