[Insight-users] Announce: WrapITK 0.3.0 released

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:27:26 EDT 2009

>> Can we integrate this with a build for ITK 3.14?
>>

> The build hasn't been tested inside itk. Quite often, when it's not tested,
> it's broken.
>
>   Should this replace the WrapITK that is packaged in ITK 3.14?
>>

> No, but it may be a separate package. Would it be possible?

Yes, almost anything is possible.  However, it's a total pain in the neck
for porting with ITK.  The reason is simple, I think you need the entire
source tree for ITK in order to build WrapITK.  In this case, it doesn't
make any sense to have a separate port for WrapITK.  On the other hand, if
WrapITK were simply to link against compiled ITK libraries, then a separate
port would be easy.  Given the nature of WrapITK, that's not an option.

Maybe you can enlighten me on how you develop WrapITK without having WrapITK
within the ITK src tree.  As I see it in ITK 3.14.0, we have:

<itksrc>/Wrapping/WrapITK

In the port, there is a separate download for CableSwig, which is unpacked
into:

<itksrc>/Utilities/CableSwig

If we could be confident that a separate release package could be downloaded
for WrapITK, it would be easy to unpack and replace the content in

<itksrc>/Wrapping/WrapITK

However, it may not be so simple.

I conclude that we do have two options:

a) A separate port for WrapITK (oh god, please no!)
b) Wait for updates of WrapITK in the ITK release program (probably the way
to go)

If we did create a port for option a, then I assume that it must be an
almost direct replica of the current port for InsightToolkit, but it must
somehow replace the WrapITK components.  In any case, the WrapITK port must
contain all the ITK src code somehow and it would need a full installation
of ITK for all the shared library links to work (unless the whole thing were
built static, but I think that's not an option with WrapITK - it requires
shared libs, right?).

Best,
Darren