[Insight-users] DICOM and orientation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jun 30 12:17:15 EDT 2009

Jose,

                     Please do *not* use FLIP.

The orientation "problem" is simply the result of not thinking
on Physical coordinates.

This is a *visualization* problem, not a data processing one.

The correct way of visualizing medical data in VTK is to
properly place the Camera. Not to fiddle around corrupting
the medical data of the image.

The reason why you see the dataset upside down is because
you have not properly oriented the Up vector of the camera,
and you may have also placed the camera in the incorrect
side of the data set.

in order to do this properly you should get a lot of coffee and
carefully study the following diagrams in this Wiki page:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation#DICOM_LPS_Orientation_-_Lower_Limb_Graphical_Example
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation#DICOM_LPS_Orientation_-_Full_Body_Graphical_Example
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation#DICOM_LPS_Differences_in_Visualization_presented_to_Radiologist_and_NeuroSurgeons

So....

Instead of going in a dangerous rampage with the Flip filter,
you should start by answering the question:

A)    Are you working for a radiologist ?
       or are you working for a Neurosurgeon ?

With the answer to this question, go to the third
diagram, and that will tell you where to position your camera.

Then

B) are you generating Axial slices ?  Coronal ?

If you are generating an Axial Slice for a Neurosurgeon,
you should put the location of the camera at the center
of the image + a Z translation larger than the image, and
then orient the image with an Up vector equal to -Y, that
is (0.0, -1.0, 0.0). the camera should be looking at the
physical center of the image..

Once you start thinking in terms of Physical Coordinates,
most of this apparent conflicts disappear.

   Please let us know if you have any questions,