[Insight-users] Access uncompressed pixel map VTK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jun 30 12:22:58 EDT 2009

Hi Alderfc7,

   Why are you using VTK for reading DICOM images ?

I would strongly suggest you to use the ITK Series Reader
instead, which is based on GDCM and will manage image
compression correctly.

For an example on how to read DICOM series please read
the ITK Software Guide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in particular the chapter "Reading and Writing Images"

and look at the source code example:

      Insight/Examples/IO/DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx

The pixel type that you get will depend on the image modality.

If your image is:

     CT:  you want to use "signed short"
     MR: you want to use "signed short"
     PET: you want to use "float"

What is the image modality of your DICOM image ?

Please let us know if you have any questions,