[Insight-users] Announce: WrapITK 0.3.0 released - BioImageXD - Mac Ports

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:20:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Badri Roysam <roysam at ecse.rpi.edu> wrote:

> Yes, as of today, the FARSIGHT build wiki as written is by and large an ITK
> build. There is
> another page under construction that is much more FARSIGHT specific. We
> plan to clean up
> all this confusion soon.
>
> http://www.farsight-toolkit.org/wiki/FARSIGHT_HowToBuild

Oh cool, thanks!

Although the details of the cmake settings and the Qt build may vary from
the instructions (which might be important in some cases), it might be
possible to satisfy the dependencies on OSX using MacPorts, as follows:

sudo port install cmake
sudo port install qt4-mac
# OR
#sudo port install qt4-x11
sudo port install vxl
sudo port install InsightToolkit +wrap
sudo port install vtk-devel

If you need to check or modify any of these port configurations, that's
possible.  Take a look at this ITK wiki page for tips, especially the tips
on local repositories:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_MacPorts_Package_Maintainers
It took me about 1-2 days to learn the basics of developing custom
MacPorts.  Sometimes your custom tweaks should become part of the standard
port, so you just submit a patch to the trac system and see what happens.
You might need to refresh your tcl, as Portfiles are basically tcl scripts.

Then configure and build farsight, trying to link against libraries
installed somewhere into /opt/local/ (the default prefix for MacPorts).  If
I can find and justify the time, I may try to configure a MacPort for the
farsight build, which would try to take care of everything (it's not likely
to happen soon).

Note that InsightToolkit has it's own vxl build (maybe that will change
someday, to link against the vxl port).  So, you might have to double check
how your farsight build links to vxl libs if both are installed.

I hope that will help a little to get farsight onto OSX for all the mac
freaks ;-)

Take care,
Darren