[Insight-users] Registration Problem

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jun 30 16:48:43 EDT 2009

Hi Sven,

A) It is very strange that two images that are already registered
    would become misaligned after running a registration process
    on them.

    This raises suspicions about:

     A) your method for converting the ITK image to VTK

     B) your method for visualizaing the VTK images

     C) The optimizer setting (Minimize vs Maximize).

B) Reporting that "nothing works" is not very informative.

    There are many parameters to fine tune in a registration
    process, and you clearly have only experimented with a
    small subset of the possible combinations.

    Such report would only be useful if it is accompanied
    by

        a) The images that you are registering

        b) The source code that you are using

        c) The list of sets for parameters that
           you have tried.

C) You should verify every step of your processing.

     1) Are you reding this image from DICOM files ?

     2) What are their

              * Pixel type ?
              * Origin coordinates ?
              * Pixel spacing values ?
              * Direction cosines ?

     3) Have you visualized the images directly
        using:

               * VV ?
               * Slicer ?
               * SNAP ?
               * Paraview ?
               * Osirix ?
               * Other ?

     4) Have you resampled the moving image using
        only the initial transform of the registration ?

        How are you computing the initialization of the
        Transform ?

   Please report to the list the answers to
   questions:  C.1, C.2, C.3. and C.4