[Insight-users] can itkMRFImageFilter discard the intensity information

Baoyun Li baoyun_li123 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 10:07:32 EDT 2009

Hi, Luis:

I have look the following code in   Insight/Examples/Statistics/ ScalarImageMarkovRandomField1.cxx

typedef itk::Statistics::DistanceToCentroidMembershipFunction<
ArrayPixelType >
MembershipFunctionType;
typedef MembershipFunctionType::Pointer MembershipFunctionPointer;
double meanDistance = 0;
vnl_vector<double> centroid(1);
for( unsigned int i=0; i < numberOfClasses; i++ )
{
MembershipFunctionPointer membershipFunction =
MembershipFunctionType::New();
centroid[0] = atof( argv[i+numberOfArgumentsBeforeMeans] );
membershipFunction->SetCentroid( centroid );
classifier->AddMembershipFunction( membershipFunction );
meanDistance += static_cast< double > (centroid[0]);

}

Certainly, the program need user to input the centroid which I guess is the mean intensity value of each cluster? Am I right?

My qustion is how accurate the program relies on the input mean. Since I already have reference labeled image, it is not a big deal to calculate the mean.
Can you furthe tell me whehter I can get the similar effect by using itk EM clustering and itkMRFImageFilter with the method by Zhang et al. (many again is a naive question)
 expectation-maximization.

Thanks

Baoyun.