[Insight-users] 3D Registration: converter, casting and extension problem

Vural Özbudak dvozbudak at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 09:19:35 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to register 3D CT images, rigid and affine transforms at first. I
have slice by slice DICOM data at hand. At the output of my own reader, I
obtain two VTK objects filled with the pixel values and the header of the
files. I need to connect VTK to ITK, then proceed with the registration in
ITK and then convert ITK to VTK again for the visualization part. I
encountered some problems at this stage:

1) In the 3D rigid transform example "ImageRegistration8.cxx" it seems to be
that ITK takes .mha documents as an input. Does it have to be ".mha"? Can we
use another input type for it, if so, what kind of input does ITK take? Do
we need a conversion while doing this?

2) This may seem trivial but, how could I get over the casting problem from
float to double, unsigned char to double and vice versa?

3) I use a converter for the passage from VTK to ITK and ITK to VTK but I'm
not sure about the performance of it. Could you advise me a converter that
does the job for going back and forth between VTK & ITK?

Thanks,

Vural